Gardening Adventure Spring/Summer 07

Luke and Tori planting seeds

Cody and Olivia hard at work

With the help of the whole family we finally completed the first of our gardening. After tilling, weeding and taking all the rocks out of our plot we added extra soil from atop of our little hill. We also added a little compost soil with other nutrients from a bag that we bought from the store with a little added chicken manure. There's nothing like a nice long afternoon of digging in the dirt. Cody and I were left to sow the seeds.

What did we plant?

* Manoa lettuce

* Anuenue lettuce

* pak choy (a type of Chinese greenery, good in stir frys or soups)

* broccoli

* green peppers

And in separate containers we started seeds such as: baby watermelon, marigolds (Seth's Pick), lavender (Olivia's pick), and sunflowers. We still have corn to plant on our hill and more peppers and I can't remember what else, oh beans and...uh...I can't remember. We tried to stick with the things that we eat a lot of. We eat lots of salads and stir fries, so we stuck to those types of veggies. I didn't get cucumber, but wouldn't mind trying to grow them. We have grape tomatoes growing on the other side of our yard. Cody found them and transplanted them into our yard. Yes, I did make sure they weren't someone else's plants. Along with our garden that we started, Cody has a Taro (Kalo) garden that is doing really well. It's so much fun to watch things grow.

Comments

Eva said…
WOW!!! Your garden looks amazing! Can't wait to see it in person. =)That rich red dirt really takes me back! I love how everyone looks totally into the whole gardening thing.

Last week we planted corn, more carrots, & strawberry plants. I need to get the watermelon, pumpkin and tomatoes in the ground soon!

Cody, send me a pic of your kalo patch! You know, taro is Jaime's favorite!!! Bell Peppers are one of my favorites.
Jen said…
We've had gardening fever, too! Our peas and spinach look puny from our hotter than normal spring but everything else is coming on great! We have red and yellow tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and the aforementioned peas and spinach. I love watching my girls watch things grow! I can only imagine what it will be like to watch them watch their own spiritual "seeds" grow, too! Happy Gardening!

Popular Posts