Cody:The Co-Cow Slaughterer and Butcher

I woke up at about 12:30 Monday night to my sons arrival. He had just finished putting cow meat, grounded and steaks, in our freezer. What a feeling! I can't express how proud I am of my 11 year old son. To be a mother of such a young man who is determined to do just about anything. I mean he went out all day, witnessed a cow being slaughtered, helped skin it and then butchered and bagged all the meat.

He said "after we ( just three of them) shot the cow, " which was in fact a steer (his balls were chopped off- Cody's very words :o) "Eli ran and slit the neck. Blood was everywhere and then when I cut the head open I saw mash where the bullet hit nearly right in the middle of the eyes."

On a picture of a cows face, he showed me where the bullet landed. One shot and down. That was it. Then it was ready to be skinned and butchered. Wow! I wish I could have been there to see my son in action. This is not the first time, but actually the third time Cody has done this and come home covered in dirt, sweat and blood with a cooler FULL of beef. The next morning Cody cooked us some fresh ground beef patties and steaks. Yum!

I am so thankful that my sons have these kinds of opportunities especially in this day and age when other boys are busy playing video games or off at the mall buying their next pair of 'Heelies'. I just think it's really cool and I think their wives will too.

Comments

Marci said…
Kids should know where their food comes from and sometimes that makes them vegaterians. I think it's more girls than boys. Girls get sentimental. I remember I stopped eating chicken for 2 years because I saw rib bones and it grossed me out.
Where's the beef?!
Eva said…
I was just thinking the same thing... kids need to know where their food 'really' comes from. We are thinking of purchasing a baby pig from a local farmer, visiting it, then when it is ready... eat it. I doubt that they would allow Noah to participate in slaughter, not sure if I could stomach it. =) It is great that Cody is able to be part of the butchering process. You guys will never starve. =)

Popular Posts