MM! MM! Candied Popcorn

Once again, Cody experiments with another recipe....candied popcorn. After he gets his recipe off the internet he is in search of all the ingredients. If we don't have all of them, he goes up to our nearby mom and pop store to see if they have it, if not the ingredient ends up on our next shopping list.

Cody is always experimenting with recipes mostly ones that will curb his sweet tooth and not only his, but it ends up curbing the sweet tooth of everyone else in the family. Cody has been an ambitious cook ever since he was two years old. He started with play dough that would keep him busy for hours, making cupcakes for his stuffed animal friends to making toast for me when I was stuck in bed after the birth of Luke and even now we continue to find him in the kitchen whipping up something new. On the list of goodies that he likes to make includes: mochi ( a sweet rice flour Japanese dessert), li hing mui lollopops( an island favorite), Saturday afternoon he cooked Korean chicken for lunch.

Cody's latest endeavor which he hasn't made yet because I'm afraid the recipe asks for way too many eggs (10 eggs!) are Ensemadas- a filipino pastry topped with a buttery,sugary like paste. We were walking around at our local farmers market last week with empty stomachs oohing! and ahhhing! at all the yummy looking baked goods. We spocked an ensemada and that was it, Cody was on to another recipe. As soon as we got home he looked it up on the Internet. When I'm brave enough to let him use 10 of our egg yolks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

By the way, the candied popcorn was a hit. After the first try which came out a little soggy, Cody tweaked his recipe and made it just right the second time and a few more times after that! All I can say is that Cody is an aspiring baker/chef. Cooking is pretty cool hobby in our house because we're always experimenting. It's almost like science. You don't quite know how it's going to come out and it takes a least a few times before you master a recipe and then your brave enough to play around with it. Yesterday, in our house we experimented with biscuits. It started all because we didn't really have anything quick for breakfast and I don't care to buy Bisquick because of the hydrogenated vegetable oil in there, so I always make our pancakes or waffles from scratch. Yesterday morning it was biscuits. We've tried biscuits a few times before, but every time we make them they turn out different. So we have tried several different recipes. That's the fun of it. Anyhow, we found a 1933 recipe and we made it twice yesterday. In the morning we called them roll-cuits because they seemed like they came out like half rolls- half biscuits, they were good though. We figured that we probably added a little more milk than needed. Then for dinner, I was craving a Kentucky Fried Chicken dinner, so I made fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy and those biscuits. This time I added less milk and they turned out a little less moist and drier, like a biscuit. I still don't think we've mastered the biscuit. I think it will take a few more times. Okay, was this post about biscuits or Cody's popcorn??? You wanna come over and dine at our house? Your very welcome to :o) On a last note, do any of you have a good biscuit recipe or tips on how to make them right?

Comments

Eva said…
Way to go Cody!
I love to experiment in the kitchen too. As a child I wasn't allowed to cook, even as a teenager. I taught myself as an adult.

We have been trying to find a good biscuit recipe too... I've tried two different ones, but both were very dry??? Keep experimenting, and I'll do the same, maybe we can compare notes and come up with something good! I once came across a recipe for chocolate gravy and biscuits on the internet... ohhhh But can't find it anymore. sniff.

Oh yeah, we never bother with biscuit either... never have. I now use your pancake recipe!!=) It's easy and delicious!

Popular Posts