Guava Jelly

Here are the guavas we picked, prior to this photo the cooler was filled to the brim. The boys and I had a blast picking them. It was so funny we were laughing the whole time. Just think...20 years later we'll be sitting around the Thanksgiving table laughing about that time we picked guavas.

Guavas all sliced. I love the color. They're so pretty. We picked enough guavas to make a batch of jelly right away and I reserved a whole bunch of juice and even froze the rest. It might make great Christmas presents.

One lonely jar of Guava jelly left to share with someone special!

Finally made it!! I actually bought canning jars last guava season and they've been sitting in my closet. When we went on our field trip to Umauma Falls-World Botanical Gardens we came home with a cooler full of guavas. I was kind of hesitant before making it because I didn't have a canner, but managed to complete the project with more confidence than what I started with. I made it the first time and the jelly didn't jell so I poured everything out and decided to try again, but this time I used Cody's candy thermometer. After the first batch didn't turn out Cody reminded me that his thermometer had a jelly setting on it. Thanks to Cody! At first I thought the second time didn't work out either, but after a few hours we noticed that the jelly in the jars were jelling, hallelujah! The whole family was excited with me...I made my very first batch of jelly and it wasn't very hard after all. It worked! We used a few bottles to make sure it tasted good and it sure turned out yummy, just like the Hawaiian Sun brand at the store or even better!

Comments

Eva said…
What a beautiful jar of guava jelly!! Great job Heather! Those guava's sure look tasty. While we were visiting, Jaime thought I was nuts when I asked him to pull our car over so I could pick from the side of the road. But they sure were good, and our hotel room smelled of yummy guava. MMM, I can almost taste it!

Popular Posts